I am Botanic Bob, aka Robert, while still on the road, naturopath, herbalist, acupuncturist, osteopath, author, nature lover, learner, poet, walker, musical beginner, drinker of Khayyam’s “wine”, and some kind of healer.
My interest in and love for all things natural goes way back to when I was a child exploring the local countryside and its woods, ponds and brooks. I have been studying plants more seriously since my days as an undergraduate student at Oxford Polytechnic (now Oxford Brookes University), where my degree course in Biology included several modules in ecology. In 1990 I began to study plants as medicines when I embarked on a diploma course in Naturopathy with Rudy Lanza in Luserna San Giovanni, Italy. For over 25 years now I have been using plants in clinic either as the sole therapeutic modality or as adjuncts to treatment by osteopathy or acupuncture, of which I am also a qualified practitioner. I have continually updated and expanded my knowledge both of plant biology and medical herbalism through online and self-study. In 2017 I achieved an Advanced Diploma in Herbalism from the School of Natural Health Sciences (UK). I have an active interest in wildcrafting (harvesting plants from their natural habitat) and medicine-making. My herbal practice is in Santa Eulària des Riu, on the beautiful Mediterranean island of Ibiza, where I live with my wife Clouds Woman, and spend my down-time walking its hills, shoreline and cliffs, writing, and learning to play my beloved mandolin. I have two grown-up children of whom I am extremely proud.
This website is about my herbal practice. For my other activities see here.
Qualifications and Professional Membership
I have professional qualifications in Naturopathy, Herbal Medicine, Acupuncture and Osteopathy. I am a member of the Sociedad Española de Fitoterapia (Spanish Society of Phytotherapy – membership number 671), the Asociación de Acupuntores de España (Association of Acupuncturists of Spain – membership number 07603) and the Registro de los Osteópatas de España (Register of Osteopaths of Spain – membership number 139). To review my qualifications, see here.
My areas of special expertise
- Herbal medicine.
- Spinal, skeletal, muscle and nerve pain.
- Chronic health problems (problems that have developed over a long time).
- The relationship between the mind and physical health, especially the role of stress.
What can I offer as a practitioner?
- Long experience. I have been in practice since 1994.
- Wide-ranging knowledge. In addition to my main modalities (acupuncture, herbal medicine), I have good groundings in muskulo-skeletal medicine, general medicine (though please note, I am not a medical practitioner), traditional oriental medicine, naturopathy, and health psychology.
- A thorough, logical, problem-solving approach.
- A holistic mindset. I am particularly concerned with overall, long-term health, which depends on a variety of physical, environmental and psychosocial influences.
- Dedication. All my patients receive as much thought and care as is necessary to helping their problem.